20 interview tips:
1) When you send your CV, you should customise it to the specific company
2) When you go to an interview be on time
3) Turn your phone off
4) Know the company and why you want to work there
5) Bring a CV with you (to hand out)
6) Take notes throughout the interview – shows that you care
7) Dress appropriately
9) Don’t make jokes… not the right environment
10) Don’t babble
11) Don’t bad-mouth the boss/college/uni you are at – you don’t want negatives to come out of the interview
12) Don’t flirt with the interviewer
13) Don’t play with face or hair
15) Have good eye-to-eye contact
16) Think about potential questions – ‘what do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?’
17) Have accomplishments, be proud of something you have done
18) Have passion
19) Ask questions
20) Send a thank you note
Put good work at frot and abck of portfolio
Have questions ready to ask
Take a pad and pen – organised
Talk about your work before you show it but don’t talk too much
Take mock-ups as well as drawings – thought processes, how I conceptualise things, where my ideas come from
On CV – do not talk about exam results or irrelevant information
Don’t talk about holiday or money in the first interview
Give a firm handshake
Tell them you really want the job (hardly anyone ever does this…!)
Ask for their business cards (implies you want to keep in contact)
Questions to ask:
Why is this job available?
Can you eleaborate on my day-to-day duties?
Could you describe a typical day?
How long has this position been available?
What is my most pressing task in this role?
Can you elaborate on who I will be working with?
How is this company advancing over the competition?
How and who will be measuring my performance?
If I were to start this job what would be my firs task?
What are the skills and abilities needed for this job?
How does this position impact on the company?
Do you have any reservations about my suitability?
How do you describe the corporate culture here?